At the Smyrna School District Board of Education meeting August 19, board members discussed the bond sale for the addition to Smyrna High and the new intermediate school, new food allergy procedures and the ongoing construction at the high school.


    At the Smyrna School District Board of Education meeting August 19, board members discussed the bond sale for the addition to Smyrna High and the new intermediate school, new food allergy procedures and the ongoing construction at the high school.
    Bonds will be sold for the addition to the high school and the new intermediate school that is planned for Underwoods Corner Road in Clayton. This will be the last of the funds for the high school addition.
    The way the bond sale works is that state taxes pay for a certain amount of a district’s project, in this case 80 percent. The Smyrna School District is responsible for the rest of the funding, 20 percent. In the last referendum in March 2007, the community approved the high school extension, new intermediate school project and the bond sale.
    The next step is to access funding. The district receives all state funds after the bond anticipation note gets approved. The anticipation note is the document that describes the bond sale, which has to be approved before the bonds are sold.
    Jerry Gallagher, finance director, said after all of the paperwork is approved, which he does not expect to take long, the district will continue with the intermediate school planning process.
    “We will be staring the process for selecting an architect to do the design of the new intermediate school,” Gallagher said.

Food allergy procedure
    Melissa Sayers, child nutrition program supervisor, said the new food allergy procedure has specific guidelines to be followed when students go through the cafeteria line and buy lunch.
    “Parents usually notify the school nurse of allergies and that leads to the teacher, administration and the cafeteria being notified,” she said.
    She said the school should be notified so the cafeteria staff can do everything they can to ensure that students do not consume foods they are allergic to.
    “Each child puts their student ID number in the keypad to pay for lunch,” Sayers said. “The cashier gets a ‘pop up’ saying what the child is allergic to, and the cashier reads that and detects the child’s tray.”

Transportation requirements form
    Parents have the option to fill out a form to notify their child’s bus driver of any food allergies or medical conditions the child has. The notification of the bus driver is in the event that something happens on the bus.
    “In case the child has something they are allergic to in their backpack,” Sayers said. “The bus driver knows they are not supposed to eat that.”

High school construction
    Clint Lasana, building and grounds supervisor, said a new bus lane was added at the high school. The buses used to drop off and pick up the students in the front of the school, but because of construction, the lane had to be relocated.
    Students will now be dropped off on the east side of the building – the auditorium side.
    The change will not affect student parking. The school has not lost parking, Lasana said. They have gained parking by adding a lot to the back of the building.