|
Smyrna/Clayton Sun-Times
  • American Legion Ambulance holds groundbreaking ceremony for new Station 64

  • The station will be built where a home once stood on Smyrna-Clayton Boulevard (Rt. 6) near Glenwood Avenue (Rt. 300). At about 9,000 square feet, the new building will be three times the size of the current station which is about a mile east on Glenwood Avenue.


    • email print
  • »  RELATED CONTENT
  • State, county, and local political leaders gathered with members of American Legion Ambulance Station 64 of Smyrna at the groundbreaking for the new ambulance station on Saturday, Dec. 11.
    The station will be built where a home once stood on Smyrna-Clayton Boulevard (Rt. 6) near Glenwood Avenue (Rt. 300). At about 9,000 square feet, the new building will be three times the size of the current station which is about a mile east on Glenwood Avenue. It will have three bays instead of the current two, including one drive-through bay. Completion is scheduled for early fall 2011.
    “It’s been a long, arduous process, but we want to thank everyone who has made this possible,” said Allan Post, American Legion Ambulance Service Director. “This expansion will give us plenty of room for down the line.”
    Before the ceremonial first shovels of dirt were thrown, Post asked everyone to pause for a moment of silence in thanks and reflection “on what we’re going to do here, and what we’ve done in the community in the past 86 years.”
    Station 64 was the first American Legion ambulance service in the world, organized in 1924.
     
      • calendar