The Smyrna-Clayton July 4th Association will sponsor day-long community festivities in celebration of our nation’s independence on the Fourth of July.
1. What is the July 4th Association?
The Smyrna-Clayton July 4th Association will sponsor day-long community festivities in celebration of our nation’s independence on the Fourth of July. The association is an independent non-profit group. Anyone interested in helping the association may call Joanne Masten at 653-6235 or Bob Merrill at 653-6809.
2. Parade in Clayton
The Fourth of July Parade will start at Clayton Elementary at 9:30 a.m., and travel east on Main Street, then north on Reed Street, ending at Eagle Group/Metal Masters. Line up begins at 8 a.m. Parade chairman is William R. Carrow III.
In case of rain on the morning of July 4, the parade will be canceled and the Citizens’ Hose Company Band will give a free concert at the Clayton Firehouse at 10 a.m.
3. Festivities at Smyrna Park
Events at the Smyrna Municipal Park on North Main Street will include:
• Baby contest - registration, 10 a.m., contest at noon;
• Dog contest - registration, 11 a.m., contest at noon;
• Lawn mower races - registration, 11 a.m., races at noon;
• Music, games, demonstrations, and plenty of food and refreshments throughout the afternoon;
• Carnival by Stine Amusement Shows, noon-11 p.m., and continuing July 5-9 from 6-10 p.m.
4. Fireworks at dusk
Firework Productions will present a spectacular fireworks display on Duck Creek Parkway, across from Smyrna High School, starting at dusk
5. Volunteers needed to work on float honoring U.S. troops
The Smyrna-Clayton July 4th Association is sponsoring a community float celebrating our hometown heroes in the military. The float is being built at the former Masten's building next to the Clayton Firehouse.
The tentative schedule is June 22, 23, 24, 25, 27, 28 and 29 from 7 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. Hours on June 26 have not been finalized.
Everyone is invited to participate in the float building, especially those who have family and friends in the military. For more information about the float, contact Sandy Voss at email@example.com or 423-1203.