A house fire that occurred near Smyrna this morning was accidental, according to the Delaware State Fire Marshal’s Office, Headquarters Division, in Kent County.
The fire was reported by neighbors at 8:45 a.m., in the 700 block of Severson Neck Road, east of Smyrna.
When firefighters from Citizens' Hose Company of Smyrna and the Leipsic Volunteer Fire Company arrived, they saw fire coming from the rear of a manufactured home.
The blaze was placed under control at 9:18 a.m.
Investigators from the State Fire Marshal's Office determined that the fire started in an attached addition on the rear of the manufactured home and was caused by a malfunction in the home’s fixed branch circuitry.
The homeowners were not home at the time of the fire, and no injuries were reported.
Damage was estimated at $10,000.