Citizens' Hose Company responded to the fire at 331 W. Commerce St. at 9:05 a.m. and immediately saw smoke and fire coming out of the two-and-a-half story single family dwelling, said fire department PIO Eugene Tucker.
When Citizens' Hose Company arrived to the scene, Tucker said the fire department immediately called Clayton Fire Company for assistance due to the size of the blaze.
It was originally reported that no one was home, but Tucker said Monday morning the owner's son was home at the time of the fire and was awakened by neighbors and Smyrna Police officers yelling and beating on the doors.
A dog was rescued but a family of five cats perished in the fire. Tucker said Safe Haven Animal Shelter was called to access the dog.
It took the fire departments 45 minutes to bring the blaze under control. There was a motorcycle and a car parked in the rear of the house. The motorcycle was totally destroyed while the car received some damage.
Tucker said the Fire Marshal is investigating the blaze.
"There is no estimated value of damage, however, the damage was extensive," Tucker said.
Along with Clayton Fire Company, Citizens' Hose Company was assisted by Ambulance 64, Town of Smyrna Electric Department, and the Fire Marshall's Office. Leipsic Fire Company stood by until Citizens' Hose returned to the station.
The fire departments were in service for two hours and five minutes with 40 personnel from both fire departments. The officer in charge was 1st Assistant Chief Isaac Hankins. There were no injuries.