|
Smyrna/Clayton Sun-Times
  • UPDATE: Christmas tree light malfunction caused Smyrna house fire

  • Fire damaged a home on Ronald Lane in Smyrna Thursday night, but no one was injured in the blaze.
    • email print
      Comment
  • Fire damaged a home on Ronald Lane in Smyrna Thursday night, but no one was injured in the blaze.
    The fire was ruled an accident, caused by faulty Christmas tree lights, according to the Delaware State Fire Marshal's Office.
    The blaze in the 300 block of Ronald Lane in the Glenwood development was reported by the homeowner shortly before 11 p.m., said Chief Deputy State Fire Marshal B. Scott Bullock.
    When firefighters from Citizens' Hose Company of Smyrna responded, they saw flames coming from the one-story residence, but the residents were safely out of the home.
    Firefighters declared the fire was under control at 11:24 p.m. They were in service for one hour and 51 minutes, and the officer in charge was Fire Chief Isaac J. Willis. They were assisted by American Legion Ambulance 64.
    No injuries were reported, Bullock said. The residents are staying with nearby relatives.
    Deputy State Fire Marshals determined that the fire originated in the living room and was caused by an electrical failure with Christmas tree lights that ignited the tree and spread to nearby combustibles. The home was equipped with working smoke detectors.
    Damages were estimated at $35,000, Bullock said.

        calendar