|
Smyrna/Clayton Sun-Times
  • Update: Heater malfunction causes gas leak at Smyrna Dollar General

  • Firefighters and utility crews were called to the Smyrna Mart on Glenwood Avenue this morning, Jan. 25, for a reported gas leak.
    • email print
  • Citizens' Hose Company was dispatched Friday morning at 8:57 a.m. to a reported gas odor at the Dollar General Store in the Smyrna Mart Shopping Center on Glenwood Avenue.
    When firefighters arrived, they found the store evacuated with employees reporting an odor of gas inside, said Citizens' Hose Company Public Information Officer Eugene Tucker.
    "Firefighters used a gas detector to locate the source of the odor inside the store," Tucker said. "Further investigation revealed that the source of the leak was coming from a malfunctioning heater unit from the roof of the store."
    Tucker said Chesapeake Utilities was notified and responded to the scene to shut off the gas. Firefighters remained on the scene and allowed the gas to clear from the building and also checked AutoZone and Movie Gallery, which were next door for any gas and found no hazards.
    There were three pieces of apparatus with 30 personnel in service for 1 hour and 3 minutes under the direction of Capt. Easley Pierson.
    "There were no injuries or damage to the structure," Tucker said. "And the Dollar General was ordered to remain closed until the problem could be repaired."
      • calendar