North Smyrna Elementary School is still closed today, Friday, Feb. 1.
North Smyrna Elementary students were evacuated this morning due to a gas leak caused by a heater malfunction. Students and staff were bused to Smyrna Middle School where they will complete the day.
Citizens' Hose Company No. 1 responded to North Smyrna Elementary on North Main Street at roughly 8:30 a.m. Thursday for a gas leak.
Citizens' Hose Company Public Information Officer Eugene Tucker said when the fire department arrived, school officials had already evacuated the school and called Chesapeake Utilities.
"Firefighters narrowed down the source of the leak to the area of the boiler room and checked the classrooms with gas detectors to assure there were no additional hazards present," Tucker said.
Clayton Fire Company, American Legion Ambulance 64, and Kent County Paramedics were also on the scene. Approximately 10 units with 50 personnel, under the direction of First Assistant Chief Jay Pappas, took 32 minutes to bring the incident under control.
Tucker said there were no injuries or damage to the structure as a result of the leak and the scene was cleared at 8:56 a.m. and turned back over to school officials and Chesapeake Utilities representatives.
A message on the Smyrna School District website said students who are walkers at North Smyrna Elementary will be shuttled back to the building for dismissal at their regular time. Parents that normally pick up students can do so at Smyrna Middle School, located on Duck Creek Parkway.
For more information, contact North Smyrna Elementary at 653-8580.
Additional information will come tonight at 8 p.m. regarding heater repairs and plans for tomorrow.