Citizens' Hose Company No. 1, of Smyrna, and American Legion Ambulance 64 responded to a reported house fire Feb. 14 at 7:39 p.m. on West South Street and arrived to find smoke coming from a residence at 50 W. South St.

Citizen's Hose Company Public Information Officer Eugene Tucker said that upon further investigation, firefighters found an active kitchen fire that had progressed to the second floor above the kitchen.

"Firefighters went to work making an aggressive attack on the fire and was able to stop the fire from progressing any further throughout the residence," Tucker said.

Upon extinguishing the blaze, Tucker said firefighters checked for the possibility of extension of the fire and found that they were successful in preventing the fire from causing any further damage.

"Because of the quick response and aggressive attack on the fire, firefighters were able to quickly stop the spread of the fire and bring the blaze under control in 20 minutes," Tucker said.

Approximately 52 firefighters with 4 pieces of apparatus under the direction of Chief Isaac Hankins were in service for 1 hour and 41 minutes.

Tucker said there was one occupant of the residence treated for smoke inhalation by members of Ambulance 64 and Kent County Paramedics; however, the person refused transport to the hospital.

There were working smoke detectors inside the residence. There is no estimate available on the amount of damage to the residence caused by the blaze, Tucker said. The fire is under investigation by the Delaware State Fire Marshal's Office.

Tucker said the family of 11 was displaced, but is being assisted with lodging by the American Red Cross.