Smyrna/Clayton Sun-Times
  • Accidental fire at Townsend house causes $50,000 in damage

    • email print
  • An early afternoon fire that occurred Thursday in Townsend has been ruled accidental in nature by the Delaware State Fire Marshal's Office.
    The fire was reported by a neighbor shortly after 12 p.m. in the 400 block of Eagles Nest Landing Road in Townsend, said Chief Deputy Fire Marshal B. Scott Bullock in a release. Citizens' Hose Company, of Smyrna, responded to the residence and arrived to find smoke coming from the unoccupied single-family dwelling.
    Assistance was requested from Leipsic Volunteer Fire Company. The fire was placed under control at 12:45 p.m. with no injuries reported.
    Deputy State Fire Marshal's responded to the scene to conduct the investigation. Deputies determined the fire originated in the dining room and was caused by a failure in an electrical outlet mounted appliance, said Bullock. Damages were estimated at $50,000.
Terms of Service

    Events Calendar