|
Smyrna/Clayton Sun-Times
  • Fire breaks out Tuesday inside Schwan facility in Clayton

    • email print
      Comment
  • Clayton Fire Company responded Tuesday at 2:45 p.m. to Schwan's Food Company at 200 N. Bassett Street in Clayton for the report of a fire.
    Units responding were advised Clayton Police Department was on the scene with heavy smoke coming from the building with two delivery vehicles inside the building on fire.
    Crews, which included assistance from Citizens' Hose Company and Hartly Fire Department, made quick work on the fire. Fire damage was confined to the garage area where the trucks are loaded with smoke damage to the rest of the building. The fire was deemed under control at 3:23.
    Clayton Fire Company Fire Chief Robbie Johnson said a delivery truck inside the building started the fire.
    "There was major fire damage to the initial vehicle, which extended to another truck," Johnson said. "There was heavy heat and smoke damage to the building."
    DNREC was requested to the scene because of a vehicle leaking fuel. Public health officials were also requested to respond due to the nature of the business and food products stored on site. The last Clayton unit was back at Clayton Fire Department at 4:15.
    The fire is being investigated by the Delaware State Fire Marshal's Office.
    Clayton Fire Company had 25 members respond on the call. There were no injuries.

        calendar