A Smyrna woman has been arrested by the Delaware State Police in connection with the death of her husband.

Police said the investigation began on Sept. 16, 2013 when troopers and medical personnel were called to the 2000 block of Bryn Zion Road for a death investigation. Upon arrival, James D. Baker II, 42, was located by his wife, Jamie L. Baker, 44, deceased in the bedroom.

The Office of the Chief Medical Examiner also responded to the residence to transport Mr. Baker to their office in order to conduct an autopsy. Evidence, which consisted of pills, syringes, and a box containing several bottles of liquid steroids, were collected at the scene by state police detectives.

Police said an autopsy was performed on James Baker and it was discovered that his kidneys had a substance suspected to be Ethylene Glycol, which is a chemical found in anti-freeze. The bottles of steroids were then sent to a laboratory to be tested and all found to positively contain Ethylene Glycol. The medical examiner ruled the manner of death a homicide by poisoning, police said.

Detectives continued to conduct comprehensive interviews and were able to determine that James Baker ordered the steroids back in June of 2013 through the internet and would have them delivered to a friend. Police said the two of them would divide up the bottles between themselves and Baker would take his back to his residence in Smyrna, where he would place them in a locked toolbox in a closet.

Detectives executed a search warrant March 13 at the residence on Bryn Zion Road. Police said Jamie Baker was contacted at the residence and eventually provided information that she had used a hypodermic syringe to extract anti-freeze from a container that was stored in the container that was stored in the garage. Once she gathered the chemical, police said she injected several bottles of the steroids.

Police said Jamie Baker was transported to Troop 3, where she was charged with first-degree murder and possession of a deadly weapon during the commission of a felony. She was arraigned at Justice of the Peace Court 7 and committed to Delores J. Baylor Women’s Correctional Institution, where she is being held without bail.