Smyrna Police have arrested a 14-year-old Smyrna High School student for allegedly calling in two bomb threats this morning to the Smyrna School District.

Tuesday morning at approximately 7:52 a.m. a phone call was received at the Smyrna School District Central Office advising that there was a bomb in one of the schools. Then at 8:40 a.m. another call was received and the caller advised that the bomb in the school was going to go off at a specified time; however, the person receiving the call was not able to understand what the time was.

Police said a decision was made to evacuate and search all eight schools in the district as well as closing the school for the day and sending all students home. Thirteen K-9 officers the Delaware State Police, Capital Police, Delaware State Fire Marsha'ls Office and the Dover Air Force Base arrived and assisted with searching all of the schools as well as Providence Creek Academy in Clayton, which evacuated due to its close proximity. 

During the investigation police received information of a possible suspect and matched his cell phone number with the phone records that called in the threats.  At approximately 3:00 p.m. Smyrna Police apprehended the 14-year-old Smyrna High School student at his residence without incident. 

Smyrna Police said the student was charged with seven counts of terroristic threatening by making a false statement to cause the evacuation of a building for the two phone calls. He was also charged by Clayton Police with three counts of terroristic threatening by making a false statement to cause the evacuation of a building. The juvenile was processed at the Smyrna Police Department and transported to Justice of the Peace Court 7 where he was presented and released to his mother pending a later court appearance.

Previously Reported

Smyrna Police and local law enforcement agencies have cleared all schools in the Smyrna School District following two bomb threats that were made this morning at the central office.

Smyrna Interim Police Chief Norman Wood said each school has been cleared and that nothing was located in any of the schools. The schools have been closed for the day following the evacuations.

Wood said the threats are under investigation. Delaware State Police, Capital Police, the Dover Air Force Base, the Fire Marshal's Office and Clayton Police assisted on the call. The department's brought their dogs to assist in the search for possible bombs.

Superintendent Debbie Wicks said all the students have been sent home. She said families were contacted regarding the evacuations within 10 minutes thanks to the district's alert call system.

"This is upsetting because in Smyrna we pride ourselves in keeping our students safe," Wicks said.

Wicks said the district is working with police in hopes of tracing the call to see who made the threats. As she stated earlier in the day, Wicks said they will prosecute who ever made the calls to the highest level.

Wicks said the district worked hand-in-hand with the police; the district has three Students Resource Offices working within the district.

Providence Creek Academy will also dismiss students early, closing school at 10:45 a.m. The school initially sent out an alert message stating students were safe and would remain in school. However since then PCA administrators have been advised to dismiss early for the safety of the students.