The blaze, reported shortly after 10 a.m. today, Jan. 19, occurred in the 100 block of Blackbird Forest Road near the DuPont Parkway.

The State Fire Marshal has determined that today’s fire (Jan. 19) that heavily damaged a Townsend-area house was accidental.

The blaze, reported shortly after 10 a.m., occurred in the 100 block of Blackbird Forest Road near the DuPont Parkway. When Townsend Fire Company arrived, smoke was pouring from the two-story dwelling.

Deputy state fire marshals were called to the scene to conduct the investigation. The fire started inside a second-floor bedroom when an operating space heater caught the bed on fire, the fire marshal’s office said.

Five occupants were checked for smoke inhalation at the scene, but were not transported to a hospital.

Fire damage was estimated at $60,000. There were no smoke alarms inside the home.

Three adults and two children have been displaced. They are receiving emergency assistance from the American Red Cross.