A Smyrna woman suffered burns in a Sunday afternoon fire on West Commerce Street.

Citizens' Hose Company responded to the 500 block of West Commerce Street in Smyrna shortly after 1 p.m. for a report of a house on fire. When firefighters arrived, they saw fire inside on the second floor, said Assistant State Fire Marshal Michael Chionchio.

A 62-year-old woman in the home was transported to the emergency room at the Bayhealth - Kent General Hospital. She is in critical condition with inner airway burns and second degree burns to her face, Chionchio said.

State fire investigators responded and determined that the fire was accidental and started inside a second floor bedroom when the victim attempted to light a cigarette while on oxygen. A fire erupted, burning the victim and igniting bedding, Chionchio said.

Fire damage was estimated at $50,000.

The American Red Cross provided emergency assistance to five adults and two children displaced because of the fire.

The home was not equipped with a smoke alarm, Chionchio said.