From the pages of the Smyrna/Clayton Sun-Times, Sept. 12, 1990

From the Sun-Times
Sept. 12, 1990

Eagles roll past Cavaliers, 30-8

By Susan Biro, editor


The Smyrna Eagles varsity football team rolled past the Middletown Cavaliers 30-8 last Friday night in the annual Harvest Bowl game to keep the trophy in Smyrna the third year in a row.

The Harvest Bowl started in 1985 and Middletown won in ’85, ’86 and ’87, but Smyrna has kept the trophy since ’88.

In a dominating performance which didn’t get underway until 9 p.m. due to faulty lighting at the Middletown stadium, the Eagles set the tone of the game on their first possession when senior Keandre Summers romped 38 yards to put Smyrna on the scoreboard first. The run was the fourth play by Smyrna’s offense, which produced more than 300 total yards in both running and passing for the night.

Chad Crawford followed up Summers’ TD by running in the two-point conversion.

The Eagles' defense then shut down the Cavaliers on their first possession of the game by sacking Middletown quarterback James McGeoch.

“We played a very, very good team effort throughout and especially in the second half and that impressed me,” said coach John Klepacki. “We shut them down offensively and defensively and we held onto the ball. That second half was probably the best half of football for Smyrna as far as a team effort that I’ve seen.”

The Eagles also spread out the scoring for the night, with David Williams scoring two touchdowns, and Don Tribbett adding another TD.

Williams scored his first touchdown on defense, where he holds down the spot of safety, when he intercepted a Middletown pass and ran it back 40 yards to score for Smyrna. Then, as a split end, Williams took off on a 35-yard jaunt to add his second score of the night.

Smyrna’s Tribbett put the icing on the cake when he took a 45-yard run into the end zone for the Eagles’ final TD. Crawford was on the receiving end of a pass from junior quarterback Mike Adams for the conversion....

Smyrna police involved in chase, shooting at fast food restaurant

By Kelly Rouke

A Salisbury man was arrested in Smyrna last Tuesday night, after a shoot-out with police in a fast food restaurant. The arrest ended a weeklong spree of robbery, kidnapping, and murder.

John Frederick Thanos, 41, is now being held without bond in a Worcester County, Md. jail in connection with his alleged involvement in two shooting deaths, three robberies, two kidnappings and two shootings....

Thanos was captured in Delaware by Smyrna police after fleeing from Salisbury police on U.S. Route 13, a half mile north of Salisbury.

According to police, Thanos, who was wanted in connection with the weeklong string of murders, shootings and robberies, was seen driving northbound on Rt. 13. Police pulled him over and Thanos began shooting. No one was injured but Thanos escaped and later dropped his car off in a wooded area off Sussex 454A, police said.

Thanos then flagged down a car driven by Edward Mason of Laurel and forced Mason at gunpoint to continue driving north on Rt. 13...

Smyrna Police Chief Donald McGinty said Thanos was spotted by Smyrna officers around 9:42 p.m. Police followed Mason’s car into Wendy’s Old Fashioned Hamburgers fast food restaurant at U.S. 13 and Delaware Rt. 6. Mason escaped to safety from the driver’s side and Thanos began firing at police with a .22 caliber rifle, police said.

McGinty said three officers returned fire shooting a total of five rounds. Once Thanos emptied his gun he gave up. Police said no one was injured in the incident.

Two Smyrna police cars and two Salisbury police cars were damaged during gunfire episodes with Thanos....

Smyrna teacher is reservist activated for Middle East

By Susan Biro, editor

United State Air Force reservist Gary Finch, a Smyrna Middle School woodshop teacher, is among reservists who were put on active duty list for 90 days to help fly supplies and cargo to U.S. troops in Saudi Arabia....

A master sergeant in the 26th MAS Air Force Reserves based at Dover Air Force Base, Finch has already made one trip to Saudi Arabia and left for his second flight to the Middle East on Saturday, said his wife Nancy.

“His first trip took four days and they go out five to eight days at a time and that’s all I was told,” said Nancy Finch. “His crews fly the C-5s and they are only based in a few placed in the United States – Dover Air Force Base is one besides Texas and California. He flies cargo and equipment and he’s not in Saudi Arabia to stay, which should relieve his friends at Smyrna Middle School.”

A yellow ribbon was tied around the school district’s central office last week in honor of Finch....