A Middletown man and a Newark man were injured in the collision between a pickup truck and a car

Delaware State Police have released details about the two-vehicle collision early Saturday morning just north of Middletown.

At about 3:04 a.m., police responded to Summit Bridge Road north of Victoria Drive near Summit Aviation for a report of a motor vehicle collision.

Police said a 2013 GMC pickup, driven by 30-year-old Newark man, was traveling north on Summit Bridge Road. For an unknown reason, the man lost control, and the truck veered left over the median, police said.

The pickup traveled about 300 feet, went across both southbound lanes and then veered back across the lanes in a northeast direction. 

A 2006 Pontiac GTO, driven by a 23-year-old Middletown man, was traveling south in the right lane on Summit Bridge Road.

The front bumper of the Pontiac struck the driver side of the pickup as the northbound pickup was veering across the southbound lanes.

The pickup truck’s rear axle drove over the Pontiac and broke off, and the force of the collision propelled the axle south until it stopped on the west shoulder.

The pickup then rotated in the air, landed on its driver side and skidded across the road, stopping on the west shoulder.

The Pontiac rotated almost 360 degrees and stopped on the west shoulder.

Along with state police, New Castle County Paramedics and Volunteer Hose Company of Middletown were called to the scene.

Paramedics found two patients, both trapped in their vehicles, said Paramedic First Class Yvonne T. Russell.

Firefighters used specialized equipment to remove the patients.

The pickup driver, who was seatbelted, was taken to the Christiana Hospital with injuries to his leg and arm, Russell said.

The driver of the Pontiac, who was wearing a seatbelt, was flown by a state police helicopter to the Christiana Hospital with injuries to his face, arm, leg and pelvis, Russell said.

The driver of the pickup, the 30-year-old Newark man, was cited for careless driving and failure to have insurance identification, police said.

The crash remains under investigation by state police.

Summit Bridge Road in the area of the crash was closed for 2.5 hours while the crash was investigated and cleared.