Canal Post 25 clinched the no. 1 overall seed in the Delaware American Legion Baseball State Tournament, finishing with a mark of 20-4.

For the majority of the season, Canal Post hung around the top of the standings and finishing the regular season hot to earn the league’s best record. They outpaced defending champs Stahl Post 30 who finished second in the standings (18-7-1), Fox Post 2 (19-5) in third and Delaware Post 1 (14-11) who held the top spot for the majority of the season.

Canal Post opened the postseason with three straight victories before falling to Fox Post 2, 13-9 on Tuesday in the semifinal round.

The two teams matched one another through four innings, locked up at 3-3, before Fox Post took a brief two-run lead in the top of the fifth inning. Post 25 responded with four runs of their own in the bottom half of the inning, taking a 7-4 lead.

Fox Post took the lead right back in the sixth, scoring three runs in the inning to take a slim 8-7 lead into the seventh. The teams traded runs in the seventh, as Fox Post 2 increased their lead to 10-8 and added on even more in the top half of the ninth leading 13-8.

Post 25 managed to get a small rally started in the bottom of the ninth but couldn’t complete the comeback, falling by four runs.

Because this was Post 25’s first loss in the tournament, they still have a chance at the title.

Delaware Post 1 and Fox Post 2 will play early on Wednesday afternoon with the winner scheduled to play Post 25 for the title later at 3 p.m.

In game one of the postseason for Canal Post 25 on Saturday, the Firehawks took care of Post 3 Milford, 12-2.

Matt Moran gave Post 25 a solid start on the mound, pitching five innings allowing just one earned run off two hits while striking out eight Milford batters.

At the dish, five Firehawks finished with two hits apiece including Ryan Seymour, Jared Gillis, Ryan Zwier, Shawn Dulin and Joe Otto.

Post 25 struck for three runs in both the first and second innings, gaining an early 6-0 lead until adding six more insurance runs in the fourth to pull away for good.

On Sunday, Canal Post 25 advanced again after knocking off Delaware Post 1, 13-3.

Like they did on Saturday, the Firehawks offense went to work early with the bats against Post 1. After striking for a run in the opening inning, Canal Post 25 added five more runs in the second and three more in the third to earn a commanding lead.

Six different Firehawks finished with two or more hits, led by Gillis who finished 4-for-6 at the plate with four RBI in the victory.

Dulin registered the win on the mound for Post 25, pitching six strong innings allowing just one earned run off four hits while striking out three.

On Monday, Canal Post 25 advanced to the state tournament semifinals, holding on to defeat Stahl Post 30, 9-8.

The Firehawks got off to their usual hot start at the plate on Monday, earning a 4-0 lead over Stahl Post 30 through three innings.

After six on Monday, Post 30 had cut the Post 25 lead to just two at 5-3 until the Firehawks increased their lead late with a four-run eighth inning.

Leading 9-3 through eight, Stahl Post 30 made a furious comeback attempt scoring five runs in the ninth before Post 25 was able to hold off the assault.

Zwier and Kyle Tomlin led the way at the plate for the Firehawks, combining to go 7-for-7 on Monday. Both Otto and Tomlin finished with 2 RBI in the victory.