UPDATE: Cause reported of house fire in Jockey Hollow near Clayton
The State Fire Marshal's Office has reported the cause of the fire that damaged a home Sunday, Nov. 22 in the Jockey Hollow neighborhood near Clayton.
The fire began on the exterior when embers from an unattended fire pit spread to the side of the home, according to Chief Deputy State Fire Marshal B. Scott Bullock.
No injuries were reported, he said.
The fire started shortly before 2 p.m., in 100 block of Sunrise Drive.
The Clayton Fire Company responded to the 911 call from the occupants of the home. When firefighters arrived, they saw fire coming from the two-story home.
Assistance was requested from several neighboring Delaware fire companies, as well as the Millington, Maryland Fire Company. The fire was placed under control in about one hour.
Deputy state fire marshals investigated.
Damages are estimated at $150,000, Bullock said.
The Red Cross of Delmarva was contacted for assistance.