Northwestern at Iowa odds, picks and prediction
The Northwestern Wildcats (1-0 overall, 1-0 Big Ten) visit the Iowa Hawkeyes (0-1, 0-1) Saturday at Kinnick Stadium for a 3:30 p.m. ET kickoff. Below, we analyze the Northwestern-Iowa college football betting odds and lines, with picks and predictions.
Northwestern at Iowa: Betting odds, spread and lines
- Money line : Northwestern +105 (bet $100 to win $105) | Iowa -125 (bet $125 to win $100)
- Against the spread/ATS : Northwestern +2.5 (-110) | Iowa -2.5 (-110)
- Over/Under : 45.5 (O: -106 | U: -115)
Northwestern at Iowa: Three things to know
- Northwestern rolled Maryland 43-3, covering a 14-point spread last week. The Wildcats ground game trampled the Terrapins, gaining 325 yards on 53 carries.
- Iowa dropped a close one at Purdue 24-20 due to its two turnovers and 10 penalties for 100 penalty yards. First-year starting QB Spencer Petras failed to connect on a big throw and keep drives moving.
- This will be the 15th meeting between Northwestern and Iowa with Pat Fitzgerald and Kirk Ferentz as the respective head coaches. The series is tied 5-5 over the last 10 meetings.
Special Big Ten Betting Promotion!
Bet $1 on ANY Big Ten team's money line, WIN $100 (in free bets) if ANY BIG TEN team scores a touchdown this week!
Northwestern at Iowa: Odds, prediction, betting lines and picks
Northwestern 23, Iowa 17
Money line (ML)
Northwestern's (+105) identity has been as a defense and running team with an ineffective air attack. However, QB Peyton Ramsey and new offensive coordinator Mike Bajakian make this version of Northwestern the most dynamic in the Fitzgerald era.
Ramsey stepped in and had a near-flawless first game for Northwestern in the opener against Maryland, completing 23-of-30 throws for 212 passing yards with one touchdown and no interceptions.
Iowa (-125) had a more mistake-filled season opener partially due to the fact it had a new quarterback under center for the first time since 2017, and is 101st in return of production according to ESPN.
The Hawkeyes should be a little more fine-tuned at home in this game but not as much as Northwestern who ESPN ranks first in return of production heading into this year.
I'd put a half-uniton NORTHWESTERN (+105) to get an upset
Against the spread (ATS)
I'd take the points with NORTHWESTERN +2.5 (-110) and probably put twice as much on the spread as the money line. This should be low scoring and the points could come in handy.
Prior to last year's loss, Northwestern won and covered three straight in this series. Also, the road team is 4-1 ATS in their last five meetings.
The last three Northwestern-Iowa games have gone Under the total by an average of 19 points. In fact, the Under is 11-4 in the last 15 meetings. The weather forecast in Iowa is calling for near 20 MPH crosswinds and that'll be the excuse each side needs to call a conservative game plan.
Northwestern-Iowa's recent total trends and the weather forecast set up for a low-scoring affair. TAKE UNDER 45.5 (-110).
Additional college football coverage from USA TODAY Sports Media Group:
Alabama football / Auburn football / Florida football / Georgia football / LSU football / Michigan football / Michigan State football / Notre Dame football / Ohio State football / Oklahoma football / Tennessee football / Texas football / USC football / Wisconsin football
Gannett may earn revenue from audience referrals to betting services. Newsrooms are independent of this relationship and there is no influence on news coverage.